Saturday, January 30, 2010

Truly Something Special

Living and training at 8,000ft is really something special. I was truly reminded of that Friday while riding my bike.

My day started with Nordic Skiing at Eldora. It was amazing. The weather was great, the trails empty and the wind calm.After Nordic Skiing, I went home and re-fueled myself with a home made gluten-free muffin. Next came a bike ride on the singlespeed. It is here when I realized how special riding "in the middle of nowhere" is. Instead of being rewarded during a long, chilly ride with a Mocha Latte, you are rewarded by seeing things you would never see anywhere else.Instead of thinking "just make it to the coffee shop, keep going", you think "just make it to the pretty view. You can do it".And just when you think you couldn't pedal anymore and are in need of the post ride Chai, you see a herd of elk to motivate you.
Riding in the middle of winter time, in Colorado between 7,000-10,000ft can be a little lonely and "un-natural" feeling, but the rewards far out weight anything else.

I needed one or two more muffins when I got home...

1 comment:

Cari Higgins said...

Dude! that pic with the ski fence is my friends' house. Josh and Maribeth. I confirmed this by the street sign/number. Actually, we donated skis for that fence and Greg thinks he spotted them. Too funny!