Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Stuff

Today is day #1 of Track Nationals.  Yesterday, day #0, was an eye opener for me.  

After the airport, I got to the track and put both bikes together.  Nice guy Des helped me take my stuff into the track and down into the infield.  After riding 'round and 'round for awhile with my super fast Team Pursuit team, it was decided I needed to try out my race  wheels/gear/helmet since I am racing on day #1.  Back outside, to the trailer to find the proper wheels, fill them with air, put the correct cog on the rear, change handle bars etc (I am still wearing my chamois while doing all this "non-riding" stuff).  

By the end of the day, I had stuff spread all over the infield.  Chain rings, cogs, tools, 2 sets of wheels, 2 bikes, shoes, clothes, 3 water bottles-and there was nobody to take care of it for me.  

I never thought I would turn into one of those "spoiled bike racers" who expects everything to be done for them, but I am.  I didn't realize how  nice it is to have mechanics, directors, and teammates to help make things go smoothly.  I was overwhelmed by all the stuff.  Track racing requires a lot of stuff (thank goodness The Mom and Dad are arriving today to take care of me...I mean help me out).

No comments: